||University of Maryland College Park Physical Sciences Complex
||College Park, Prince George's County, Maryland
||Gilbane Building Company
||$5-10 Million USD
- The Physical Sciences Complex houses the Department of Astronomy, the Department of Physics, and the Institute for Physical Sciences and Technology.
- 158,000 Square Feet
- Multi-story elliptical glass cone open to the sky providing natural light to the building from the center
- High-tech laboratories with precision temperature control and vibration and electromagnetic radiation isolation allowing for precision research and measurements at the molecular level.
- 3D Modeling using Tekla Structure
- 3D-integrated precision layout with Trimble robotic total stations and LM-80 data collectors for rapid layout with ability to provide 1/32" precision for cast-in-place concrete elements.
- Dedicated BIM trailer for collaborative visual construction meetings
- The actual dimensions of the glass cone vary from floor to floor and were developed collaboratively between Schuster Concrete Construction's layout engineer and the building architect.